[egenix-users] Using mxodbc with SQL Server 2012

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Sep 3 12:16:22 CEST 2015

On 03.09.2015 08:44, Sheila Allen wrote:
>> I'm looking into the MS SQL Server Native client again as well, we tried
>> it when they first announced it and it would segfault with any significant
>> load
> We're currently testing the MS ODBC Driver for Linux, and ran into a
> similar segfault under load. This was resolved by upgrading unixODBC 2.3.0
> to 2.3.2, even though the MS ODBC Driver officially only supports 2.3.0.
> Some discussion of the issue here:
> https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/23fafa84-d333-45ac-8bd0-4b76151e8bcc/sql-server-driver-for-linux-causes-segmentation-fault

We are using the MS driver with unixODBC 2.3.2 just fine. The only
segfault we've seen so far is related to using Unicode strings with

If you can provide instructions on how to reproduce the problem
you are seeing under load, we can try to investigate this some

> I wish Microsoft would show some signs that they plan to maintain the MS
> ODBC Driver for Linux, such as acknowledging this issue and providing an
> install script that supports the newer unixODBC 2.3.2.

The current version is unixODBC 2.3.4 :-)

> Here is an article on making it work on Debian, along with some useful
> comments at the bottom.
> https://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com/posts/install-and-configure-the-ms-odbc-driver-on-debian/

We are using these steps on openSUSE:

tar xvfz msodbcsql-11.0.2270.0-redhat6.tar.gz
cd msodbcsql-11.0.2270.0/
./install.sh install --force --accept-license

This installs the driver into /opt/microsoft/msodbcsql (you can ignore
all the warnings).

To make the driver, we also have to add a few symlinks for
OpenSSL libs, since RedHat uses different names that openSUSE:

cd /lib64
ln -sf libssl.so.1.0.0 libssl.so.10
ln -sf libcrypto.so.1.0.0 libcrypto.so.10

Finally, and for completeness, we add the lib/ dir to the linker
setup in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/odbc.conf:

The run ldconfig.

This last step doesn't appear to be necessary, since the driver also loads
without the linker setup, but it's cleaner that way.

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 03 2015)
2015-08-27: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.9 ...     http://egenix.com/go83