[egenix-users] Using mxodbc with SQL Server 2012

Sheila Allen sallen at zeomega.com
Thu Sep 3 06:06:15 CEST 2015

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/23fafa84-d333-45ac-8bd0-4b76151e8bcc/sql-server-driver-for-linux-causes-segmentation-fault

> We are using the MS driver with unixODBC 2.3.2 just fine. The only
> segfault we've seen so far is related to using Unicode strings with
> DriverConnect():
>
> http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/doc/#_Toc427692959
>
> If you can provide instructions on how to reproduce the problem
> you are seeing under load, we can try to investigate this some
> more.

The segfault issue goes away with 2.3.2, as mentioned above. This
discussion describes how to reproduce the issue using the unixODBC 2.3.0:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/23fafa84-d333-45ac-8bd0-4b76151e8bcc/sql-server-driver-for-linux-causes-segmentation-fault

The point here...the concern...is really that the official Microsoft
certified unixODBC version is 2.3.0, a very old version with a known bug.
The documentation mentions that version repeatedly, and specifically states
that 2.3.1 is not supported. So the docs are really outdated, and I guess
the installation script is too because it requires additional manual
workarounds to use newer versions of unixODBC. Here are the Microsoft
installation docs:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36437

This has been raised in several threads, and has been a known issue since
2012, but Microsoft has failed to certify or document use of newer versions
of unixODBC since then. Unless I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Here's another article that turned up in a search for the driver...once
again it describes use of unixODBC 2.3.0.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh568449(v=sql.110).aspx

So the question is whether it's a good idea to advocate for the use of this
driver, which seems to be somewhat abandoned after several years.  Has
anyone seen any statements from Microsoft that they're continuing to
support it? I've seen this discussed among users also on the Microsoft
blog, with no response:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlnativeclient/archive/2013/01/23/introducing-the-new-microsoft-odbc-drivers-for-sql-server.aspx#10620294

Am I just looking in the wrong places?

--
This e-mail message (including any attachments) may contain information
that is confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other applicable