[egenix-users] Error compiling egenix-mx-base (again)

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:40:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Leonardo Santagada wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as I can see, there will be some minimal backport for Python 2.7.
>>
>> It is working for the other extensions I told you about... it just
>> don't work for egenix stuff.
>
> distutils' sysconfig.py was patched in 2.7.3 without paying too
> much attention to breaking things.
>
> mxSetup doesn't use the distutils sysconfig.py module, but has it's
> own way of configuring the compiler on Unix platforms (one which allows
> for more flexibility in overriding setting using environment variables).
>
> I guess we could change this to use distutils' sysconfig.py for Python 2.7.3,
> but if you look at this patch on the ticket:
> http://bugs.python.org/file26105/issue13950-version3.patch
> you'll see that the sysconfig.py patching is likely going to be
> removed again in 2.7.4.

why not just use sysconfig.py or just have another module that does
this, then I (and everyone that use buildout/pip/easy_install) can
just install it without having to figure this out on every machine
that we need to install to?

> The better way to do all this is using environment variables. Set CC to
> your compiler as mentioned on the bug message and things should work
> (now and also for 2.7.4).

I don't have any clue to what those values should be, but sysconfig.py
does, in everymachine that I ever used. (my main problem in this
machine is where the macosx sdk are stored, but then again, sysconfig
knows).

--

Leonardo Santagada