[egenix-users] Error compiling egenix-mx-base (again)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 3 23:34:37 CEST 2012

Leonardo Santagada wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Leonardo Santagada wrote:
>>> other extensions like cython, pillow, simplejson and others that have
>>> C modules all compile just fine, is this going to be fixed or should I
>>> try installing python from homebrew?
>>
>> As far as I can see, there will be some minimal backport for Python 2.7.
>
> It is working for the other extensions I told you about... it just
> don't work for egenix stuff.

distutils' sysconfig.py was patched in 2.7.3 without paying too
much attention to breaking things.

mxSetup doesn't use the distutils sysconfig.py module, but has it's
own way of configuring the compiler on Unix platforms (one which allows
for more flexibility in overriding setting using environment variables).

I guess we could change this to use distutils' sysconfig.py for Python 2.7.3,
but if you look at this patch on the ticket:
http://bugs.python.org/file26105/issue13950-version3.patch
you'll see that the sysconfig.py patching is likely going to be
removed again in 2.7.4.

The better way to do all this is using environment variables. Set CC to
your compiler as mentioned on the bug message and things should work
(now and also for 2.7.4).

>> You could try this approach first (i.e. set some environment variables
>> to point distutils to clang):
>>
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue13590#msg152803
>>
>> If that fails, I'd suggest to try a fresh Python compiled from source
>> with the tools you have in your Xcode version.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 03 2012)
2012-08-25: FrOSCon, St. Augustin, Germany ...             22 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/