[egenix-users] mxODBC Zope DA connecting to Oracle seg faults

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Mar 9 00:09:22 CET 2011

Hello,

the error message suggests that the ODBC driver is creating a
strange situation:

 1. it does not return an error from the ODBC connect call

 2. it then fails on subsequent ODBC calls on the connection
    and probably causes the seg fault when trying to fetch
    error messages or doing more ODBC calls on the connection

While this is definitely a problem with the Oracle ODBC driver,
the original cause of the problem appears to be a connection
or driver load error.

This would also explain why only a few of your machines are
experiencing the problem.

You should be able to track this down by enabling the ODBC
trace function in unixODBC and/or strace.

Here's a similar problem reported by another user a few years
ago:

http://www.egenix.com/mailman-archives/egenix-users/2006-November/114114.html

Something else that may be important:

The mxODBC Zope DA 2.0 uses mxODBC 3.1 internally. This is compiled
against unixODBC 2.3.0 which uses a different ABI on 64-bit platforms
than unixODBC 2.2.11.

Regards,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 08 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/