[egenix-users] ODBC encoding problems

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Oct 28 21:09:06 CET 2007

On 2007-10-28 16:56, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> On 10/28/07, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Please send the table schema and your freetds.conf entry. Also
>> include information of whether you're using the default mxODBC
>> configuration or one of the Unicode support modes.
>
> Default configuration is used (using UNICODE_STRINGFORMAT doesn't make
> a difference in this respect).
>
> FreeTDS entry:
>
> [JazzForum]
>         ; development host uses a ssh tunnel to connect
>         host = localhost
>         port = 1433
>         tds version = 8.0
>
> No 'client charset' entry is set.

That should result in Latin-1 being used as default.

> I don't have detailed information on the tables other than what I can
> glean from isql (abbreviated to relevant information):
>
>     +-------------------------+-----------+------------+---------+
>     | COLUMN_NAME             | TYPE_NAME | LENGTH     | NULLABLE|
>     +-------------------------+-----------+------------+---------+
>     | contact_id              | int       | 4          | 0       |
>     | name                    | varchar   | 49         | 0       |
>     | department              | varchar   | 39         | 1       |
>     | userdef_id              | int       | 4          | 1       |
>     +-------------------------+-----------+------------+---------+
>
> The offending columns are claimed to be simple varchars.

Those shouldn't really cause the warnings you are seeing.
We have seen such warnings in tests that try to store
binary data in a NCHAR column, but not with VARCHAR columns.

Do you get the warning when reading from the database or
writing to it ?

Do have the offending strings available ? We could
then construct a test case to try against our SQL Server
installation.

>> Also check:
>>
>> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/nonwestern.htm
>
> I am aware of that document, and already experimented with various
> client charset settings to no avail.
>
> I'll experiment with the Easysoft ODBC driver later this week (my
> family development-during-the-weekend credit has been used up..).

The EasySoft driver is a lot more reliable than FreeTDS.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 28 2007)