[egenix-users] SQL Server 2000, mxODBC and unicode problem

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Wed Jan 5 15:08:05 CET 2005

On 2005-01-05 at 14:12:14 [+0100], Marcin <tupteq at tlen.pl> wrote:
> Hello Charlie,
>
> Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 7:45:04 PM, you wrote:
>
> > just a thought, but if have you tried using MIXEDSTRINGFORMAT? It seems
> > that
> > switching between encodings is what is upsetting the driver and as
> > Marc-André has pointed out None will be passed as a non-unicode "NULL".
>
> MIXED_STRINGFORMAT changed nothing, the same error :(

Well, it was just a suggestion... it's very difficult sometimes to pinpoint
the exact problem without access to the same environment. As Marc-André has
written unicode support has improved in DBs and drivers but there are still
lots of issues particularly in the drivers which we can't anticipate.

> I found one more way to exec this query without change -
> executedirect().

That's good to know.

> > Just out of interest, what is wrong with:
>
> >> c.execute('insert into zxcvb (x) values(?)', (u'anything',)) ?
> >> or use other cursor than used with None insert, but this sucks.
>
> > Surely, it is always better to explicitly relation attributes in queries?
>
> I have tables dynamically generated by app, I don't care for field
> names, information like: 'first field is int, second ntext' is enough
> for me. In other words, keeping field names to use them in INSERT
> requires some additional (and IMO unnecessary) work.

Okay, in that case.
Interesting: you're using persistent storage for dynamic work?

> Thanks for all answers and quick response.

You're welcome

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark