[egenix-users] ANN: eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime 2.1.0

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg info at egenix.com
Mon May 11 14:59:10 CEST 2015

ANNOUNCING

                 eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime

                            Version 2.1.0

         An easy-to-use single file relocatable Python run-time -
           available for Linux, Mac OS X and Unix platforms,
                 with support for Python 2.6, 2.7 and
                       **also for Python 3.4**.

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-PyRun-2.1.0-GA.html

INTRODUCTION

eGenix PyRun is our open source, one file, no installation version of
Python, making the distribution of a Python interpreter to run based
scripts and applications to Unix based systems as simple as copying a
single file.

eGenix PyRun's executable only needs 11MB for Python 2 and 13MB for
Python 3, but still supports most Python application and scripts - and
it can be compressed to just 3-4MB using upx, if needed.

Compared to a regular Python installation of typically 100MB on disk,
eGenix PyRun is ideal for applications and scripts that need to be
distributed to several target machines, client installations or
customers.

It makes "installing" Python on a Unix based system as simple as
copying a single file.

eGenix has been using eGenix PyRun internally in the mxODBC Connect
Server product since 2008 with great success and decided to make it
available as a stand-alone open-source product.

We provide both the source archive to build your own eGenix PyRun, as
well as pre-compiled binaries for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X, as 32-
and 64-bit versions. The binaries can be downloaded manually, or you
can let our automatic install script install-pyrun take care of the
installation: ./install-pyrun dir and you're done.

Please see the product page for more details:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

NEWS

This major new release of eGenix PyRun 2.1 comes with the following new features and changes:

New Features
------------

 * Upgraded eGenix PyRun to work with and use Python 2.7.9 per
   default.

 * Upgraded eGenix PyRun to work with and use Python 3.4.3 for Python
   3 support.

 * Added support for setting rpath on the PyRun binary to make it easy
   to ship external libraries together with PyRun, without having to
   set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.

 * Added special support for egenix-pyopenssl to load its OpenSSL libs
   during startup.

 * PyRun allows to disable the new default HTTPS certificate
   verification (PEP 476) by setting the env var PYRUN_HTTPSVERIFY to
   0. Default is to apply certificate verification.

 * Add support for more Python command line options: -s and -3 are
   ignored, -R raises an error explaining to use the PYTHONHASHSEED
   env var instead, -B prevents writing of byte code files.This should
   increase compatibility of PyRun with the standard Python command
   line interface.

Enhancements / Changes
----------------------

 * Added patch for Python 2.7.9 and 3.4.3 to make ctypes work again
   after changes to those versions of Python. See
   https://bugs.python.org/issue23042 for details.

 * The PyRun -v command line switch will now be passed to Python and
   supports setting the level using e.g. -vv for a verbose 2 level.

 * Disabled user site configurations in PyRun, since these are not
   needed or wanted for typical PyRun uses and cost startup time.

 * Optimized sys.path setup a bit. PyRun won't check for a Python
   build run and will not check lib/site-python on startup anymore.

 * PyRun for Python 3.4 is no longer compiled to always run in
   optimized mode. This allows using asserts in tests again.

Fixes
-----

 * Entering "license" in the interactive shell now returns the correct
   URL for all supported Python versions.

 * Tilde expansion now works for most arguments of install-pyrun. This
   wasn't working before due to a bug.

install-pyrun Quick Install Enhancements

eGenix PyRun includes a shell script called install-pyrun, which
greatly simplifies installation of PyRun. It works much like the
virtualenv shell script used for creating new virtual environments
(except that there's nothing virtual about PyRun environments).

    https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun

With the script, an eGenix PyRun installation is as simple as running:

    ./install-pyrun targetdir

This will automatically detect the platform, download and install the
right pyrun version into targetdir.

We have updated this script since the last release:

 * Updated install-pyrun to default to eGenix PyRun 2.1.0 and its
   feature set.

 * Added -r/--requirements option which allows automatically
   installing a set of required packages using a requirements file, so
   you can easily set up a complete Python environment using a single

   ./install-pyrun -r requirements.txt targetdir

 * Updated install-pyrun to install pyrun 2.1.0, setuptools 15.2 and
   pip 1.5.6 per default.

For a complete list of changes, please see the eGenix PyRun Changelog:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/changelog.html

LICENSE

eGenix PyRun is distributed under the eGenix.com Public License 1.1.0
which is an Open Source license similar to the Python license. You can
use eGenix PyRun in both commercial and non-commercial settings
without fee or charge.

Please see our license page for more details:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/license.html

The package comes with full source code.

DOWNLOADS

The download archives and instructions for installing eGenix PyRun can
be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

As always, we are providing pre-built binaries for all common
platforms: Windows 32/64-bit, Linux 32/64-bit, FreeBSD 32/64-bit, Mac
OS X 32/64-bit. Source code archives are available for installation on
other platforms, such as Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information about eGenix PyRun, licensing and download
instructions, please visit our web-site:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    specializing in expert project services and professional quality
    products for companies, Python users and developers.

Enjoy,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 11 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/