[egenix-users] unixODBC config problem

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jan 24 10:50:23 CET 2014

On 24.01.2014 05:49, Dale Arntson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using mxodbc with a Sybase odbc driver on ubuntu 12.04 with unixODBC 2.3x. I am accessing a
> Sybase database with a library charset called marc-8. On Windows 7, I can access this database using
> mxodbc and transmit the characters faithfully if I set the odbc manager to Communication Charset =
> No Conversion, and possibly Client Charset = OEM (although I think this last setting is getting
> ignored). On ubuntu with unixodbc, my character data out of the box is getting mangled. Can you tell
> me how to set the driver to use the same settings I have on my Windows machine? I can't seem to find
> any info on the relevant parameters for odbc.ini.

These links may help:

Sybase ODBC Driver Connection String Parameters:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.dwnet_2.0.dwnrb/html/dwnrb/dwnrb28.htm

Sybase: Configuring Character Sets
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc20116.1500/html/aseodbc/CHDEBHJF.htm

Python does not support "marc-8" as encoding, but you should still be
able to access the string data as bytes using mxODBC and then use
this package to translate the data into Unicode:

https://github.com/edsu/pymarc

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 24 2014)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/