[egenix-users] ANN: eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime 1.3.0

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg info at egenix.com
Wed Sep 11 11:14:08 CEST 2013

ANNOUNCING

                 eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime

                            Version 1.3.0

         An easy-to-use single file relocatable Python run-time -
           available for Linux, Mac OS X and Unix platforms,
              with support for Python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-PyRun-1.3.0-GA.html

INTRODUCTION

Our new eGenix PyRun combines a Python interpreter with an almost
complete Python standard library into a single easy-to-use executable,
that does not require a system wide installation and is fully
relocatable.

eGenix PyRun's executable only needs 11MB, but still supports most
Python application and scripts - and it can be further compressed to
just 3-4MB using upx.

Compared to a regular Python installation of typically 100MB on disk,
this makes eGenix PyRun ideal for applications and scripts that need
to be distributed to many target machines, client installations or
customers.

It makes "installing" Python on a Unix based system as simple as
copying a single file.

We have been using the product internally in our mxODBC Connect Server
since 2008 with great success and have now extracted it into a
stand-alone open-source product.

We provide both the source archive to build your own eGenix PyRun, as
well as pre-compiled binaries for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X, as 32-
and 64-bit versions. The binaries can be downloaded manually, or you
can let our automatic install script install-pyrun take care of the
installation: ./install-pyrun dir and you're done.

Please see the product page for more details:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

NEWS

This is a new minor release of eGenix PyRun, which comes with updates
to the latest Python releases and includes a number of compatibility
enhancements.

New Features
------------

 * Upgraded eGenix PyRun to work with and use Python 2.7.5 per
   default.

 * Upgraded eGenix PyRun to use Python 2.6.8 as default Python 2.6
   version.

 * PyRun will now create a symlink from "pyrunX.X" to "pythonX.X" and
   "pyrunX.X" to "python" in the bin/ dir to enhance compatibility
   with scripts and applications that hardwire the name of the Python
   interpreter to "python".

Other Changes
-------------

 * Removed the compiler package from being compiled into PyRun. If
   needed, it can be installed separately. Note that the compiler
   package needs the parser module which is not compiled into PyRun
   either, but is still available as extension module.

 * Removed the Tkinter Python module from being compiled into
   PyRun. If needed, it can be installed separately. Note that the
   Tkinter module needs the _tkinter C module, which is not compiled
   into PyRun either, but is still available as extension module.

 * Fixed sys.argv when using interactive mode to default to [''].

 * All eGenix PyRun distribution packages are now GPG signed with our
   release key and come with MD5 and SHA1 hashes to check for download
   corruption.

install-pyrun Quick Installation Enhancements

Since version 1.1.0, eGenix PyRun includes a shell script called
install-pyrun, which greatly simplifies installation of eGenix
PyRun. It works much like the virtualenv shell script used for
creating new virtual environments (except that there's nothing virtual
about PyRun environments).

    https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun

With the script, an eGenix PyRun installation is as simple as running:

    ./install-pyrun targetdir

We have enhanced this script somewhat since the last release:

 * install-pyrun now defaults to always installing the most recent
   setuptools and pip versions from PyPI.

 * install-pyrun now installs setuptools instead of distribute, after
   the two projects got merged and continued under the older name.

 * Added new option --pyrun-executable to define an alternative name
   for the executable, which is then also used when installing
   setuptools and pip, e.g. "python" for even better compatibility
   with standard Python.

 * install-run will now prefer curl over wget when downloading
   packages from PyPI.

 * install-pyrun local distribution options will now also work with
   relative paths.

 * install-pyrun now defaults to installing setuptools 1.1.1 and pip
   1.4.1 when looking for local downloads of these tools.

 * The short options in install-pyrun now also have corresponding long
   option names.

Other Changes
-------------

 * Fixed SyntaxWarning in pyrunX.X: name 'pyrun_script' is assigned to
   before global declaration global pyrun_script

Presentation at EuroPython 2012
-------------------------------

Marc-André Lemburg, CEO of eGenix, gave a presentation about eGenix
PyRun at EuroPython 2012 last year. The talk video as well as the
slides are available on our website:

    http://www.egenix.com/library/presentations/EuroPython2012-eGenix-PyRun/

LICENSE

eGenix PyRun is distributed under the eGenix.com Public License 1.1.0
which is an Open Source license similar to the Python license. You can
use eGenix PyRun in both commercial and non-commercial settings
without fee or charge.

Please see our license page for more details:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/license.html

The package comes with full source code.

DOWNLOADS

The download archives and instructions for installing eGenix PyRun can
be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

As always, we are providing pre-built binaries for all common
platforms: Windows 32/64-bit, Linux 32/64-bit, FreeBSD 32/64-bit, Mac
OS X 32/64-bit. Source code archives are available for installation on
other platforms, such as Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information about eGenix PyRun, licensing and download
instructions, please visit our web-site:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    specializing in expert project services and professional quality
    products for companies, Python users and developers.

Enjoy,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 11 2013)
2013-09-04: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.2 ...  http://egenix.com/go48
2013-09-20: PyCon UK 2013, Coventry, UK ...                 9 days to go
2013-09-28: PyDDF Sprint ...                               17 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/