[egenix-users] pyrun -- adding libraries

John R. Frank jrf at mit.edu
Mon Feb 4 09:48:49 CET 2013

>>> Additional libraries can be included in pyrun, but only if the libs
>>> can be statically linked and the Python extensions interfacing to them
>>> support static linking as well.
>>>
>>> One of the things we'd like to do is make the configuration of such
>>> things easier. At the moment, this requires digging deep into the way
>>> the pyrun is built.
>>>
>>> You have to add a corresponding section for the Python extension to
>>> Runtime/Setup.PyRun-2.7 and the include_list in Runtime/makepyrun.py
>>

>> I don't see "Runtime" in the stuff downloaded by install-pyrun, and
>> while the web page [1] mentions a source tarball, I cannot find a link
>> to download a source archive for pyrun.  Am I missing it on that page?
>
> The Runtime/ dir is part of the source tarball. It is not included in
> the binary archives that install-pyrun fetches from our site.
>
> Please see the download section for the download link:
>
> http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/#Download

Found it, thanks!  Reading it.

Strategy question:  what do you see as the advantages or differences
between building PyRun-based deploy and building a chroot containing
python and all our dependencies using something like deboostrap [1]?

Thanks for your expertise on this.

Regards,
John

[1] -  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot