[egenix-users] pyrun -- adding libraries

John R. Frank jrf at mit.edu
Mon Feb 4 08:43:58 CET 2013

Marc-Andre -- thanks for the guidance.

>> ~/pyrun$ bin/pyrun distribute_setup.py
>> bin/pyrun: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No>> such file or directory
>>
>> libssl is available on the system, so `python distribute_setup.py`
>> works.
>
> My guess is that either the libssl has a different version on your
> system or perhaps just a different name. We're building pyrun against
> OpenSSL 1.0.1 at the moment, which uses the above so-name for the lib.

Correct guess:

~/pyrun$ dpkg -l | grep libssl
ii  libssl-dev                           0.9.8o-4squeeze7                     SSL development libraries, header files and documentation
ii  libssl0.9.8                          0.9.8o-4squeeze7                     SSL shared libraries

So... is the best way to fix this to get the source for that library,
build in a separate library and then do the steps below?

>> My goal is use pyrun to deploy a python program that depends on the
>> lxml python module, which needs libxslt.so.1, libexslt.so.0,
>> libxml2.so.2
>>
>> These are available on my Ubuntu build system from the debian packages
>> libxml2 and libxslt -- and I could rebuild them from source.  How does
>> one get PyRun to incorporate such additional libraries, so I can then
>> deploy pyrun (and our custom program) to other machines that do not
>> have any of these libraries?
>
> Additional libraries can be included in pyrun, but only if the libs can
> be statically linked and the Python extensions interfacing to them
> support static linking as well.
>
> One of the things we'd like to do is make the configuration of such
> things easier. At the moment, this requires digging deep into the way
> the pyrun is built.
>
> You have to add a corresponding section for the Python extension to
> Runtime/Setup.PyRun-2.7 and the include_list in Runtime/makepyrun.py

I don't see "Runtime" in the stuff downloaded by install-pyrun, and while
the web page [1] mentions a source tarball, I cannot find a link to
download a source archive for pyrun.  Am I missing it on that page?

Thanks for the guidance!

John

[1] - http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/