[egenix-users] Python 3 port

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Dec 23 10:34:03 CET 2013

On 22.12.2013 21:50, Dale Arntson wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked many times, but I couldn't find a comment on the user list. Can you
> tell me what plans Egenix has, or does not have, to support python 3? I am eager to use it's new
> asyncio capability to do database work.

Yes, we do have plans to port our code base to Python 3. It's a lot of
code, though, so it will take a bit of time.

Regarding async code and mxODBC:

We have integrated gevent support into the mxODBC Connect Client code,
so you can already using async processing with mxODBC Connect. And
gevent also works with Python 2.x.

For mxODBC itself, adding async support is not straight-forward,
since the ODBC drivers manage and maintain the sockets used for
communicating with the database. The ODBC standard only has support
for polling based async processing, meaning that you have to actively
ask for new data every now and then, which is rather inefficient.

With mxODBC Connect the socket code is in Python, so we don't
have such issues.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 23 2013)
2013-12-10: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.7 ...     http://egenix.com/go51

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/