[egenix-users] Script to easily install eGenix PyRun in a target directory

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Aug 6 18:58:14 CEST 2012

Dear Users,

in case you haven't heard of eGenix PyRun yet, this is a new simple
to install Python runtime that can be used independently of a system
installed Python version.

See http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/ for details.

We're using this runtime in our mxODBC Connect Server product and
also internally as virtualenv replacement.

To make it easy to install eGenix PyRun, we've now added a script
to our download server which lets you install PyRun just as easy
as virtualenv (but without its dependency on a possible system
installation of Python):

https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun

Per default, the script will download the PyRun binary for the target
platform and install distribute as well as pip in the given target
directory.

Usage is simple:

install-pyrun targetdir

Try install-pyrun --help for a list of options.

Running the script will leave you with a targetdir setup with bin/,
lib/ and include/ dir as runtime environment. You can then immediately
start using PyRun via bin/pyrun or install additional software using
bin/pip.

The installation script is brand new and we'd appreciate any feedback
you can provide to enhance it.

Thanks,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 06 2012)
2012-08-25: FrOSCon, St. Augustin, Germany ...             19 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/