[egenix-users] Pip + virtualenv problem installing egenix-mx-base

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Wed May 11 21:07:59 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Leonardo Santagada wrote:
>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>> It doesn't use setuptools, that's correct.
>> Any idea if you are going to use setuptools one day, or just skip to
>> distutils2/packaging? Would a patch be accepted?
> We will likely never use setuptools to build our eggs (our bdist_egg
> implementation in mxSetup.py works with pure distutils) ...
>> ps: Pip only works with source+setuptools and disutils2 will not have
>> eggs, only source+setuptools or setup.cfg will be suported then.
> ... but switching to such a limited system isn't an option either :-)

why not support it? I don't know how mxSetup.py works, but there
should be a way to support setuptools or at least

> I don't think pip/distutils2 will have a great future without support
> for binary eggs: People without compiler and all the necessary
> development dependencies installed won't be able to build
> C extensions and distributions without source code won't work
> either, making the system pretty much unusable for commercial
> products.

well this a discussion for distutils-sig, I don't know their plans,
but I would appreciate pure python distributions with pre compiled c
extensions either as optional (in case you don't have a compiler) or
mandatory (if there is no source for it in the src tarball). Python
specific pure python eggs are an annoyance at least for me.

Leonardo Santagada