[egenix-users] Using mxodbc ZopeDA 1.0.X on Snow leopard?

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Tue Mar 23 17:36:34 CET 2010

Am 23.03.2010, 16:51 Uhr, schrieb Fred van Dijk <fredvd at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I've been trying to get one of our Plone 3 systems where we use the
> mxODBC zope da to run on a Snow Leopard system, but I'm out of luck
> with the prebuilt binaries that can be downloaded.
> Main issue is that on 64bit enabled systems it's almost impossible to
> compile a 32bit python release. Last year when OS X 10.6 snow leopard
> was released there have been a number of issues getting correct python
> 2.4 support. In the Plone community there's a special buildout that
> compiles and patches
> pythons 2.4/2.5 and 2.6 from source to get everything running. But
> these are 64bit.  That buildout is here:
> http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/buildout/python

I remember - Apple hacked their own version of Python together and didn't
give anyone the fixes.

> Would it be possible to compile and elease an mxODBC zopeDA prebuilt
> for python2.4 and zope 2.10.X on Snow Leopard for 64bit?

There are two problems: firstly, Python 2.4 isn't supported on OS X 10.6
by anyone; secondly, Apple have made ODBC support more difficult. I think
a build is possible on request but we won't be releasing 1.0 for OS X 10.6
as a buildout-compatible 2.0 release is nearly ready.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark

                 http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/