[egenix-users] egenix-mx-base 3.1.3 on Ubuntu 9.10

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 21:08:05 CET 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the great support.

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 22:34 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> I've now tracked this down:
> Due to the monkey patching applied by setuptools, a lot of
> distutils internals get modified in non-standard ways and while
> our bdist_egg works without problems to build the egg (e.g.
> if run manually), easy_install appears to expect some side
> effects caused by its various patched distutils commands
> which our version does not provide.

Arrrgh!

> We could provide egg files via PyPI as well, but the problem
> with that is ... again easy_install: it doesn't know about the
> difference between UCS2 and UCS4 builds of Python and so the
> eggs cannot use names which include this important build detail.
>
> While the system default Python installations typically use
> UCS4 on Linux, custom builds (as in e.g. Zope and Plone)
> often use the Python default UCS2.

An ongoing issue that I'm not sure why the labeling of eggs hasn't been
adopted so easy_install could detect the correct one.
http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue78 maybe I'm missing a bigger
issue but this solution seems pretty straight forward to me.

> Since we're already experimenting with our own PyPI index
> to address the UCS2/UCS4 problem, you might want to use that
> for the time being...
>
> For UCS2 builds:
> python easy_install -i http://downloads.egenix.com/python/index/ucs2/ egenix-mx-base
>
> For UCS4 builds:
> python easy_install -i http://downloads.egenix.com/python/index/ucs4/ egenix-mx-base
>
> If you're using buildout, just add the correct index URL for
> the index to your "find-links = ..." section in buildout.cfg.

This is a solution.  We could put both find-links = lines in
buildout.cfg and comment out the UCS2 one.  Put a note in the
installation instructions that if mx-base fails then have the user
execute:
python -c "import sys;print(sys.maxunicode<66000)and'UCS2'or'UCS4'"

If they get back UCS2; change which line is commented in buildout.cfg
?????
I just want to make installation as simple as possible.

> In the next release of egenix-mx-base, we'll also add some
> support code to mxSetup.py which disables our own bdist_egg
> command if we find that setuptools has hooked up on
> distutils ;-)

Thanks. Looking forward to the next version.

Cheers,
Tim

Timothy Cook, MSc

Skype ID == (upon request)
Academic.Edu Profile: http://uff.academia.edu/TimothyCook

You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or
from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home