[egenix-users] ANN: eGenix mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface
eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg
info at egenix.com
Thu Aug 19 18:59:05 CEST 2010
eGenix.com mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface
mxODBC is our commercially supported Python extension providing
ODBC database connectivity to Python applications
on Windows, Mac OS X, Unix and BSD platforms
This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
mxODBC provides an easy-to-use, high-performance, reliable and robust
Python interface to ODBC compatible databases such as MS SQL Server,
MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix , Sybase ASE and
Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more:
The "eGenix mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface" product is a
commercial extension to our open-source eGenix mx Base Distribution:
The new mxODBC 3.1.0 release comes with many new features and supports
more ODBC drivers, manager and platforms than ever before.
* We've added Python 2.7 support and builds for all platforms.
* mxODBC 3.1 adds native support for the Windows 64-bit platforms
as well as the Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) 64-bit builds of
* mxODBC now fully supports the Oracle Instant Client ODBC driver.
* We have updated the support for the latest IBM DB2 9.7 ODBC
drivers and enhanced compatibility of mxODBC with the MS SQL
Server Native Client ODBC driver on Windows and the Sybase ASE 15
ODBC drivers on Unix.
* mxODBC 3.1 adds support for large-scale data warehouse databases
Netezza and Teradata.
* In addition to the Windows, Mac OS X, iODBC and unixODBC ODBC
driver managers, we now also include support for the DataDirect
* The 64-bit support on Unix platforms was updated to support the
new unixODBC 2.3.0 version.
* We've improved the documentation on how to connect to various
popular databases and now include many tips & tricks for each
* The Python 2.7 memoryview object is now supported as binary data
* We have simplified handling of database warnings using a new
customizable .warningformat attribute.
* The catalog methods now accept both Unicode and 8-bit strings as
* You can now select whether to use ANSI (8-bit) or Unicode ODBC
APIs in the ODBC drivers, removing unnecessary data conversions
and enhancing ODBC driver compatibility.
For the full set of changes please check the mxODBC change log:
* Python Database API 2.0 Compliance: the mxODBC API is fully
Python DB-API 2.0 compatible and implements a large number of
* Support for all popular ODBC Drivers: mxODBC includes
adjustments and work-arounds to support MS SQL Server Native
Client, MS SQL Server ODBC Driver, FreeTDS ODBC Driver, Oracle
Instant Client ODBC Driver, IBM DB2 ODBC Driver, Sybase ASE ODBC
Driver, Netezza ODBC Driver, Teradata ODBC Driver, PostgreSQL
ODBC Driver, MySQL ODBC Driver, .MaxDB ODBC Driver as well as
the ODBC driver sets of EasySoft, DataDirect, OpenLink, Actual
* Support for all popular ODBC Driver Managers: mxODBC comes with
subpackages for the native Windows and Mac OS X ODBC managers,
as well as the ODBC managers unixODBC, iODBC and DataDirect,
which are commonly used on Unix systems.
* Stable, robust and reliable:the mxODBC API has been in active
production use for more than 10 years.
* Full Python Support: mxODBC works with Python 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
* Full 64-bit Support: mxODBC runs on the following 64-bit
platforms: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X.
For the full set of features mxODBC has to offer, please see:
New mxODBC Editions
Due to popular demand, we have extended the set of available mxODBC
editions and included a new low-cost standard edition. mxODBC is now
available in thesethree editions:
* The low-cost Standard Edition which provides data connectivity
to a selected set of database backends.
* The Professional Edition, which gives full access to all mxODBC
* The Product Development Edition, which allows including mxODBC
in applications you develop.
At the same time we have simplified our license terms to clarify the
situation on multi-core and virtual machines. In most cases, you no
longer need to purchase more than one license per processor or virtual
machine, scaling down the overall license costs significantly compared
to earlier mxODBC releases.
For a complete overview of the new editions, please see the product page.
The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
be found at:
In order to use the eGenix mxODBC package you will first need to
install the eGenix mx Base package:
Users are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC release to
benefit from the new features and updated ODBC driver support.
We have taken special care, not to introduce backwards incompatible
changes, making the upgrade experience as smooth as possible.
Customers who have purchased mxODBC 2.0, 2.1 or 3.0 licenses can
upgrade their licenses using the mxODBC Professional Edition Upgrade
If you want to try the new release before purchace, you can request
30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site
or by writing to sales at egenix.com, stating your name (or the name of
the company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.
Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
for details about our support offerings.
About Python (http://www.python.org/):
Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
platform for today's IT challenges.
About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):
eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
focusing on expert services and professional quality products for
companies, Python users and developers.
Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Aug 19 2010)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ... http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ... http://zope.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/
::: Try our new mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::
eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
More information about the egenix-users