[egenix-users] mx.ODBC error: Invalid Descriptor Index

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Apr 15 20:03:02 CEST 2010

Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
> Hello Charlie,
>
> Thanks for you answer.
>
> On Thursday 15 April 2010 17:30:06 Charlie Clark wrote:
>> Am 15.04.2010, 17:14 Uhr, schrieb Alexandre Fayolle>
>

>> This looks like an incorrect application of the parameters. You *use* ?
>> for parameters in this case. You must use string formatting to generate
>> your SQL statement for "SELECT ?, ? FROM table" from your first example
>> because you are passing variables to a statement and not parameters to the
>> database which has already prepared the statement.
>
> Let me rephrase this. I was lazy, the call generating the exception was:
>
> datetime1= datetime.datetime(2010, 4, 15, 16, 51, 25, 468000)
> datetime2 = datetime.datetime(2010, 4, 15, 16, 51, 25, 453000)
> cursor.executedirect('UPDATE cw_CWUser SET cw_modification_date = ?,
> cw_last_login_time = ? WHERE cw_eid = ?', (datetime1, datetime2, 5))
>
> The exception is  mx.ODBC.Error.DataError: ('22008', 0, '[Microsoft][SQL
> Server Native Client 10.0]Datetime field overflow. Fractional second precision
> exceeds the scale specified in the parameter binding.', 7748)

This explains why you are seeing the error: Python datetime
instances use more than just 2 digits precision in their
seconds string representation, i.e. more than what SQL Server
expects when requesting timestamps as strings.

However, I wonder why SQL Server requests this data as string
data, since it's well possible to use a native
timestamp ODBC data structure for this, which also assures
that full precision is maintained and no conversion takes place.

Could you try the above with cursor.execute() and see whether
you still get the same error ?

>> The ODBC trace log is produced by the ODBC driver not by mxODBC.
>
> I was thinking of the mxODBC.log file mentionned in §4.7 of the mxODBC
> documentation. Is it possible to enable ODBC driver tracing when you don't go
> through the ODBC Data Source manager to connect to the database?

That depends on the driver you are using.

For the mxODBC.log to be generated you need a special debug build
which we can provide if needed.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 15 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/