[egenix-users] license installation issue

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jun 10 11:11:02 CEST 2009

Tentin Quarantino wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ran the installer for the Windows mxODBC.Connect 1.0.2 installer,
> for the purpose of updating a license file.

You probably meant the 1.0.1 installer - we are currently underway
to prepare the 1.0.2 release.

> When I attempted to test whether installation was succesful I see the
> output appended below.
>
> Also, how can one determine the version of ODBC.Connect that is installed,
>  if the sw is complaining about an expired license ?
>
> I am confident that I selected the proper license for installation. I
> see it referenced in the log file after startup.
>
> Thank you...
>
> #####
>
> Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32
> Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>
>     ****************************************************************
>     Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
>     makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
>     interface.  This connection is not visible on any external
>     interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.
>     ****************************************************************
>
> IDLE 2.6.2
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>     import mx.ODBC.Windows as ODBC
>   File "mx\ODBC\Windows\__init__.py", line 9, in <module>
> ImportError: initialization of module mxODBC failed (<class
> 'mx.ODBC.Windows.LicenseError'>:license for mxODBC has expired)

If you are using the mxODBC Connect Client, then the import should be:

import mx.ODBCConnect.Client

Note that the mxODBC Connect Client does not need the installation
of a license. It can be used free of charge provided you have an
mxODBC Connect Server installed.

Now, if you want to use the stand-alone version of mxODBC, you'd use
the import you mentioned above:

import mx.ODBC.Windows

The message you are seeing can either be caused by an evaluation license
or a wrong date setting on the machine.

To check the used license, have a look at the license attribute:

print mx.ODBC.Windows.license

If this prints e.g. "EVALUATION USE ..." then mxODBC is picking
up an evaluation license.

To check the location of the license file, you can import the
license module and check it's location:

import mx.ODBC.license
print mx.ODBC.license.__file__

Hope that helps,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 10 2009)
2009-06-29: EuroPython 2009, Birmingham, UK                18 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/