Wish list (was Re: [egenix-users] Invalid cursor state)

Dan Fairs dan.fairs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 19:06:01 CEST 2009

> In a pure Python environment then mxODBC Connect - avoid all that
> messy configuration of managers, drivers and firewalls. We will
> hopefully soon be releasing a Zope version of this. What Zope
> version are you on as it looks as if we're going to have to choose
> between Zope >= 2.12 and earlier because of the move to eggs.

Ah, now that *would* be interesting. The client's currently on Zope
2.10.4, though I'd like to move to the 2.12. We did have problems with
a 2.11 ZEO client talking to a 2.10 ZEO server, though; upgrading the
ZEO server, is more major since so many things here use it. A release
that works with 2.10 would certainly be more palatable.

If we're in wish-list mode, a Zope 3 implementation would be handy as
well. All the new code we're developing is Zope 3-style (using browser
views and the component architecture), and digging around in the ZODB
to pull out a ZSQL method hooked up to an mxODBCZopeDA instance living
in content space simply isn't very nice. I'd like to be able to
register a database connection as a named utility (configured through
ZCML or optionally as a persistent item in the ZODB), and just pass it
SQL to execute.

> Other than that then "proper" drivers from Openlink, et al. By
> proper I mean avoid the "instant" or "lite" versions as these tend
> to be wrappers around JDBC drivers and have their own problems.

OK - I didn't know about those, thanks; and thanks for the warning, too.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Fairs <dan.fairs at gmail.com> | http://www.fezconsulting.com/