[egenix-users] mxBeeBase has problems on Mac OS X and FreeBSD

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Dec 18 18:28:31 CET 2009

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> We have received a note from a user today that mxBeeBase has problems
> on Mac OS X.
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> mx.BeeBase.BeeStorage.Error: invalid header at 62144: 'Kj.U\x80C'
>
> So far, we have confirmed the issue on Mac OS X and also on FreeBSD.
> It doesn't occur on Linux or Windows, which suggests that there's
> some issue related to BSD-based file system code.
>
> Since we don't want you to lose your data, we advise you *not* to
> use mxBeeBase on these platforms until we've found and fixed the
> problem.

We've tracked down the problem to a synchronization error that
only appears to affect BSD-based systems:

When using a file in r+ mode, you have to insert a dummy
file.seek() whenever switching from reading to writing, in
order to get the file buffers synchronized again.

Since mxBeeBase reads and writes to the file storage frequently,
it was possible for the file buffers to get out of sync on those
platforms that require this extra synchronization fseek() call.

We've fixed that now in mxBeeBase and will do a full release of
egenix-mx-base to address this problem on Monday.

Until then, here's the source archive:

http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-base-3.1.3.zip

Thanks to Ernesto Picardi for bringing this to our attention.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 18 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/