[egenix-users] Installing mxODBC Zope DA for use in Plone 3.x

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jun 7 00:29:25 CEST 2008

On 2008-06-06 23:03, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:14 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> The Plone universal installer ships with its own Python and Zope
>> installation. As a result the installation procedure for our
>> Zope DA has to be adapted to the Plone setup.
>
> How about providing a packaging without the lib/python/Products path?
> Many a setup uses the standard extra-products-paths feature of zope
> where additional directories are part of the Products namespace. This
> would also allow automated inclusion into a buildout simply by using
> the productdistros recipe (where you specify a URL of a compressed
> Product archive to install).

The Zope DA relies on the mx package which must be installed as
top-level package, so simply removing the lib/python/Products path
is not really an option, AFAIK. Would love to be proven wrong :-)

For the next release we'll ship a version that's easier to install
and integrates into Plone and other buildout-based setups using
either a special recipe or as egg - among other enhancements, of
course.

We'll start working on that after we've kicked off the public beta for
our new mxODBC Connect product next week. A new mxODBC Connect Zope DA
will follow soon after the final release of the Python product.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 06 2008)
2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania            30 days to go