[egenix-users] unable to trace ODBC usage

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jan 21 14:32:39 CET 2008

On 2008-01-21 14:37, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> I've got a DSN entry that looks like this in /etc/odbc.ini
>
> [VAUKLive_Dev]
> Driver       = FreeTDS
> Description  = Connecting to VAUKLive_dev
> Trace        = Yes
> TraceFile    = /tmp/vauklive_dev-freetds.log
> Server       = 172.24.66.6
> Database     = VSODMS1_3
> Pooling      = No
>

> I've tried restarting Apache, restarting Zope and opening, closing,
> opening and using the connection object in Zope. Nothing starts the
> trace. The file /tmp/vauklive_dev-freetds.log is never written!

While ODBC drivers are supposed to use those config settings in
the odbc.ini file, many of them don't.

In those cases it is usually better to enable logging at the ODBC
manager level:

/etc/odbcinst.ini:

[ODBC]
Trace    = On
TraceFile= /tmp/sql.log

You can also enable tracing in FreeTDS:

/etc/freetds.ini:

[global]
	# Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for diagnostic purposes
	# (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a multi-user system)
	dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
	debug level = 10

> To prove to myself that this is the right DSN and the right server and
> config file and everything I changed "Database     = VSODMS1_3" to
> "Database     = VSODMS1_3XXXXX" and then I get an obvious error when
> trying to open the connection.
>

> Any idea anyone?

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 21 2008)