[egenix-users] ODBC encoding problems

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Mon Oct 29 11:30:12 CET 2007

On 10/29/07, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> What's strange in your log output is that your freetds entry says:
>
> [JazzForum]
>         ; development host uses a ssh tunnel to connect
>         host = localhost
>         port = 1433
>         tds version = 8.0
>
> Yet the log suggests that TDS 7.0 is being used.

I noticed this too. I did twiddle the setting at times, and cannot
reproduce that now.

> Perhaps isql is setting the character set explicitly, while using
> the FreeTDS driver via mxODBC picks up a default encoding via
> some locale environment variable ?
>
> Try adding an explicit line
>
>         client charset = ISO-8859-1
>
> to your freetds.conf file.

BINGO. I had tried setting client charset to other values, just not to
the default. But with this line added, mx.ODBC is given the correct
character set too!

Thanks, guys, for helping out here, we just saved £499 on a EasySoft
ODBC driver license.

--
Martijn Pieters