[egenix-users] ODBC encoding problems

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Sun Oct 28 17:09:40 CET 2007

I am running into an encoding problem, where anything outside of base
ASCII charset results in ODBC errors. The same rows can be fetched
with isql without any problems.

The setup uses the FreeTDS driver to connect to a MS-SQL database, and
the error I get is:

  ('42000', 2403, "[unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]WARNING! Some
character(s) could not be converted into client's character set.
Unconverted bytes were changed to question marks ('?').", 5125)

I am unable to determine where the client's character set is set, the
.encoding parameter on the mx.ODBC connection doesn't influence this.

Any hints on where to start debugging this? Note that the same query
in isql does not produce the error and returns the characters in
question without problems. The data in question uses latin-1
characters only.

--
Martijn Pieters