[egenix-users] mxODBC on Debian stable

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Mon Oct 22 14:24:07 CEST 2007

On 10/22/07, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Marc-André. If I run into problems, I'll use a local install of
> > the latest version. Is mxDateTime available as an egg, perchance?
>
> No, but it's available as prebuilt binary, which can be installed
> in much the same way (and without all the sys.path fuzz that setuptools
> requires):
>
> http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/#Installation
>
> which allows you to use the regular distutils install command
> to do the installation, skipping the build step:
>
> python setup.py build --skip install

We don't mind the setuptools sys.path fuzz (it has it's advantages)
and use buildout for our deployments, which takes most of the hassle
out of repeatable deployments. This does mean I'll need to write a
recipe for the mxBase package.

Note that in my case it's not the compilation step that's the problem,
it's having to use explicit steps to install the code, whilst just
naming an egg in the buildout configuration would have been easier for
me.

--
Martijn Pieters