[egenix-users] Re: mx.ODBC buildout recipe

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Fri Nov 9 13:13:07 CET 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 12:39 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> > The code is far simpler for just building the source, and we're
> > already building Zope and Varnish anyway.
>
> Fair enough. Just thought it would make the buildout run faster.
> Since have already decoded our URL scheme for packages,
> reusing that code would be a breeze ;-)

With current CPU speeds, the build time is hardly noticeable when
compared with the download speed.. ;-)

It only needs to run once, buildout is smart enough to not rerun the
part if the config and recipe don't change.

> Doesn't it also have such a generic recipe for the usual Python
> "python setup.py install" dance ?

Perhaps, but I haven't found it, I suspect this is usually deferred to
setuptools. I didn't look that hard though. But your extensions and
the 'build --skip' shenanigans complicate things too of course. I
briefly looked into importing the setup.py directly, but you run setup
directly on import, resulting in a sys.exit(1) so that wasn't a
feasible route.

--
Martijn Pieters