[egenix-users] Increase pool?

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Sat May 12 02:09:01 CEST 2007

Am 11.05.2007, 19:23 Uhr, schrieb Programmer
<programmer at paradigm-corp.com>:

> Charlie,
> I have spent about two hours trying to research it on MSDN and don't
> have any definate ideas about the cause from that. It seemed to me that
> where other users had posted messages relating to it the problem was
> having to do with connection traffic.

> Since going into production I have disconnected the local dev DB and now
> connect to SQL on the network server. I am using windows performance
> monitor to watch my TCP Segments Sent to see if the errors crop up
> during periods of high traffic on Zope. There are counters for SQL
> Server in here they will only show my local instance. Since 98% of SQL
> connections are going to happen when Zope sends pages I figure watching
> TCP Segments Sent makes sense.

> My other theory is the errors occurred when the network server was real
> busy with one of it's services like email. The 3 errors occurred between
> 8:28am and 8:38am when most people are logging into their email for the
> first time. There's been no other occurrances since.

> I doubt this has anything to do with mxODBC. I'll try taking it up to
> SQL Server Central and see if anybody there can shed some light.

Network problems are very common and there is little or nothing a database
driver can do. Once a connection is open, it will stay open unless it is
explicitly closed. You might try monitoring the connection and manually
closing and reopening via a PythonScript but apart from that you need to
hound your network admins and DBA's not to drop connections as a high
amount of network traffic is no reason for a persistent connection to be
dropped. Good luck!

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark