[egenix-users] Error message opening connection using WinXP ODBC connection to Access file on network drive

Jones, William william.jones12 at wilkes.edu
Thu Mar 1 10:44:55 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an Access database on a network drive that I can
connect to using mxODBC.  The database connector works fine in Zope when
I have the database on the client machine, but when I move it over to a
network drive I get an error message:

***
Connection string: DSN=GSCL_non_credit_registration
Connection pool entry: 0
Error message: ('HY024', -1023, "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is
spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the
file resides.", 8227)
***

The WinXP ODBC dialog allows me to find the database file on the network
just fine.  I put the file in the root of my personal network drive so
the path is as simple as possible with no spaces, and I checked the path
in command prompt to make sure it worked.  The path was:
h:\GSCL_non_credit_registration_db.mbd

I also opened up the ODBC connection in an Excel spreadsheet and
imported a table to make sure the Windows ODBC was working ok.  So, I'm
pretty sure that it's the database connector that's having a problem
with a file on a network drive.

Much thanks,
Bill J.

William R. Jones, M.A., M.S.                Max Roth Center 208
Director, Life-Long Learning                 ph: (570) 408-4462
william.jones12 at wilkes.edu                  fax: (570) 408-7846
Wilkes University * 84 W. South Street * Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766