[egenix-users] errors for closed connections

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jun 2 01:13:06 CEST 2007

On 2007-06-01 19:18, Programmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The application I have built here no-longer needs connections to my
> local instance of SQL Server so I closed the connections for it. Then I
> stopped SQL Server. Now when Zope starts I get these errors and the
> startup takes a long time.
>
> eGenix mxODBC Zope DA: Problem establishing pooled DatabaseConnection 0
> for <Pro
> ducts.mxODBCZopeDA.ZopeDA.ZopeConnection "DSN=task_center" thread 2144,
> 0 connec
> tions, oid '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x19\xde' at 0x20e72f0>: ('08001',
> 17, '[Mic
> rosoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist
> or acces
> s denied.', 8227)
> eGenix mxODBC Zope DA: Problem establishing pooled DatabaseConnection 0
> for <Pro
> ducts.mxODBCZopeDA.ZopeDA.ZopeConnection "DSN=Materials" thread 1668, 0
> connecti
> ons, oid '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x15\xc7' at 0x307f3b0>: ('08001', 17,
> '[Micro
> soft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or
> access
> denied.', 8227)

It's taking a long time because the ODBC driver is looking
for the SQL Server instance and waits until it times out.

> Why is it still looking for the local SQL instance when all connection
> objects for it are closed?

It's possible that a request to the connection object reopened them
after you've closed them in the ZMI. The open/close state of the
connection object is recorded in the ZODB, so it persists across
restarts.

You can use the lazy connect feature to prevent mxODBC Zope DA
from opening them at connection object load time.

> Should I just delete the connection objects?

If you don't need the connections anymore that would also be a
possibility.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 01 2007)