[egenix-users] Re: mxODBC Cursor Unicode issuewith method executedirect().

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Fri Aug 17 14:42:29 CEST 2007

Am 17.08.2007, 13:34 Uhr, schrieb Harri Pesonen <harri.pesonen at wicom.com>:

> We first used .execute() but then changed to .executedirect() when we
> noticed that .execute() does two calls to SQL Server, SQLPrepare and
> SQLExecute. .executedirect() does only 1 call, SQLExecDirect. So
> .execute() may be two times slower if the SQL statement is always
> different.

That may well be the case. I was just highlighting the case for not
optimising too early for others on the list as, in general, SQL statements
should not change as often as the parameters do so preparing statements
will generally be more efficient. Furthermore, it is not always clear how
the database itself implements calls. From a programmer's point of view,
particularly for beginners, .execute() is a Godsend.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark