[egenix-users] mxODBC issues with MS SQLServer, blocking question and ZODB bloat issue

Ivo van der Wijk vladdrac at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:38:23 CEST 2006

On 9/19/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> It is possible that the ODBC driver you are using locks
> up the thread. Could you enable ODBC tracing in the ODBC manager
> to see where the lockups occur ?

I will try this once I'm onsite at the customer again, I can't access
the systems externally.

> mxODBC releases the Python thread lock for most ODBC calls.
> However it is possible that the ODBC driver implementation
> does some I/O in places where you'd normally not expect this
> to happen.
>
> If the driver locks up in one of the calls which
> don't release the thread lock, then you end up with a
> blocked Python interpreter.
>
> Which ODBC driver are you using to access SQL Server ?

unixODBC currently, and we're experimenting with iODBC (or do you mean
something else? I'm a bit confused about the entire chain of software
involved :)

> > Additionally, I would like to know if there is any way to have a
> > timeout set on the max. duration of a query through mxODBC.
>
> If the driver supports such timeouts, you can provide such a
> timeout in the connection string. mxODBC itself doesn't have
> a way to enforce a timeout because the ODBC driver is in
> charge of the networking between the client and server.

Ok, will try that.

Thanks for your reply,

regards,

 Ivo van der Wijk

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk / m3r Consultancy B.V.
Linux/Python/Zope/Plone and Open Source solutions