[egenix-users] Initial Install - Error 'vars not set'

Nick Albright nick.albright at v-space.org
Wed Jun 7 17:55:02 CEST 2006

  Hello!  I was wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot my fresh
install of mxODBC.  I'm using iODBC with freeTDS to connect to a MS SQL
server.  I execute a select statement and do a fetchone() and I get the
error:

-----Begin Error-----
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tmp/sql_test.py", line 35, in ?
    data = curs.fetchone()
mxODBC.InterfaceError: mxODBCursor_Fetch called, but vars not set
-----Begin Error-----

  The full code is:

-----Begin Code-----
    import mx.ODBC.iODBC as A

    db = A.connect( "MSSQL", "USER", "PASS" )

    curs = db.cursor()

    curs.execute( "SELECT COUNT(*) AS c FROM items" )

    data = curs.fetchone()

    print data
-----End Code-----

  And I believe the odbc and freetds side is setup correctly as I can use
isql just fine:

-----Begin isql-----
$ isql  -v MSSQL USER PASS
| Connected!                            |
| sql-statement                         |
| help [tablename]                      |
| quit                                  |
SQL> SELECT COUNT(*) AS c FROM items;
+------------+
| c          |
+------------+
| 3897       |
+------------+
SQLRowCount returns 1
1 rows fetched
SQL>
-----End isql-----

  I know it is connecting OK, as if I change any of the connection
parameters, I get an exception connecting.  However, it is strange in that
if I change iODBC to unixODBC (Which I don't have installed), I get the
same error..  And after the execute the curs.rowcount is -1.

  Any help would be most appreciated.

  Thanks for your time,
   -Nick

---
"I'm happy with where I'm at now. Its never good enough of course, but
  I'm not extremely pissed at least."

	-- John Mancine on some code (1/10/2005)