[egenix-users] mxODBC for python on Debian Sarge

Ingo Maurer Ingo_Maurer at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 02:23:32 CET 2006

Hi,

how can I install mxODBC on a Debian Sarge system for use with python2.4?

First I downloaded the rpm-files (mx-base and mx-commercial) from
egenix.com and
converted them to deb-files with the debian "alien" software.Then I
installed both with
debian's dpkg --install.

But afterwards when I say in a python-script:

    import mx.ODBC.iODBC

the import statements in the *.py files don't fit. For example often
mxODBC ist referenced, but only mx.ODBC (with a dot) works.

I uninstalled both mx-packages and I tried to build from source, which I
also downloaded from egenix.com, but the following happens:

$ python2.4 setup.py
install
running installerror: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

I have no clue what to do.

Thank you for your help
Ingo