[egenix-users] Zope, MySQL, UTF-8

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Mon Feb 14 18:22:00 CET 2005

On 2005-02-14 at 17:34:05 [+0100], Jan Stiller
<Jan.Stiller at hagen-partner.de> wrote:

> We have many many ZSQLs and we wouldn't like to rewrite all their
> callees - your (btw fine) product surely has one single place, where
> connections are made. Is it possible to make a 'SET CHARACTER SET'-call
> right after the creation of the connection or do I have to repeat this
> every time?

Not currently unfortunately. The best thing for you might be to hack your
ZSQL-Product to allow you to do this. Sorry for this but Zope and RDBMS has
been sorely neglected for many years in favour of "do everything in ZODB".
I have started work on a different approach to ZSQLs which would make
support for this kind of thing a lot easier but as ZSQLs currently ignore
parameter passing (check the source) and require the DA to create single
SQL statements our hands are kind of tied.

By the way, have you had any success reading unicode from your database? I
remember that I couldn't get this to render in Zope having to read in
Latin-1 and convert in a PythonScript.

Good luck!

Charlie