[egenix-users] Zope, MySQL, UTF-8

Jan Stiller Jan.Stiller at hagen-partner.de
Mon Feb 14 16:37:27 CET 2005

Charlie Clark wrote:

>On 2005-02-14 at 15:41:33 [+0100], Jan Stiller
><Jan.Stiller at hagen-partner.de> wrote:
>

>>I also tried a HTML-Page with a submit to a Zope SQL-Method with the
>>same effect - garbage...
>>

>>Since the docu says, that unicode is fully supported, I hope that this
>>will be possible in Zope too.
>>

>>If I overlooked something in the fine manuals, please send me a pointer.
>>

>Hi Jan,
>
>you haven't overlooked anything it's just that Zope (actually ZSQL) doesn't
>support unicode. It should be possible to use an ExternalMethod with bound
>parameters instead for data input.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Charlie

Hi Charlie

asking for help obviously liberated my brain ;o)

1.
This

SET CHARACTER SET utf8
<dtml-var sql_delimiter>
update test
set textfeld = <dtml-sqlvar text type=string>
where tid = 1

seems to work... and Zope (or whoever) seems to remember this between
different calls (I commented set char... out).

Is there any 'official' place to set the character set?

2.
Do you have a small example for an external method? (I need some batch
processing too)

tia
Jan