[egenix-users] mxODBC on x86_64 - strange integer conversions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 6 15:44:51 CET 2005

Hello Enrico,

enrico.sirola at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to use mxODBC on an x86_64, with unixODBC 2.2.12 and
> easysoft's odbc-odbc bridge client to connect to a MS SQL Server with
> python. The version of mxODBC I'm using is 2.0.7, and I get weird
> results from the select queries on integer fields (i.e. huge
> numbers), while isql works quite nicely. This seems related to the
> int/long size differences on the x86_64 platform (the 1st being 4, the
> 2nd 8).

Right: unfortunately, ODBC 3.52 introduced an incompatible
change in the way certain lengths are handled which show up
on 64-bit platforms.

Version 2.0.x of mxODBC is not 64-bit ODBC compatible. However,
we do have a version 2.1 of mxODBC which is 64-bit compatible
(this is the version used in our mxODBC Zope DA product).

If you want to give it a try, we can send you the download
link for the binary and an evaluation copy.

> I digged a bit the code, and it seems the following patch
> solves the problem (anyway I didn't have the time to test it very
> well) (apply it from the root of egenix-commercial with patch -p0).
> Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, but this is not a complete patch set - it's likely
that you'll get core dumps or at least wrong results with this
minimal set of changes.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 06 2005)