[egenix-users] mxODBC DA with Plone 2 and Redhat 9

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 8 13:37:44 CEST 2004

Alex Luton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get the mxODBC DA working, but the product is broken with
> this error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/plone2/lib/python/OFS/Application.py", line 654, in import_product
>     product=__import__(pname, global_dict, global_dict, silly)
>   File "Products/mxODBCZopeDA/__init__.py", line 7, in ?
>   File "Products/mxODBCZopeDA/ZopeDA.py", line 48, in ?
> ImportError: /usr/lib/plone2/lib/python/mx/TextTools/mxTextTools/mxTextTools.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString
>
> I know Plone uses Python 2.3.3 and some form of Zope 2.7. Surely this isn't a very exotic configuration these days?

RedHat chose to build Python with 4-byte Unicode which is causing
all sorts of problems with pre-built extensions.

We will start shipping UCS4 builds of the Zope DA with the next
release. Until then, you can try the pre-release of 1.0.9:

http://www.egenix.com/files/python/egenix-mxodbc-zopeda-1.0.9.linux-i686-py2.3ucs4.zip

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 08 2004)