[egenix-users] mxODBC and decimals

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Oct 29 12:26:20 CEST 2004

F.Baart at SFK.NL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Python 2.4 has a new decimal type. Are there any plans for making that the
> default return type for decimal columns in mxODBC?
> This would break a lot of my code, but it does seem like a logical choice.

Unfortunately, the new decimal type does not have a proper C
interface, so mxODBC will have to use the Python interface
for it, making access and creation rather slow.

In any case, the default type mapping in mxODBC is not going
to change. We are, however, going to offer more more options
for input and output types in future releases.

The new Decimal type will certainly be one option to choose
from for decimal columns.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 29 2004)