[egenix-users] mxODBC Zope DA, Suse, UnixODBC Data Source problem

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Oct 21 18:50:13 CEST 2004

Jaime Mountjoy wrote:
> We have recently installed the mxODBC Zope Database Adapter on a Suse
> 9.1 server (with Python 2.3.3 and Zope).  We ended up having to use the
> 1.0.9 release of the database adapter because we were getting the
> PyUnicodeUCS error.  It appears that the database adapter is installed
> correctly, and database connections can be created, but they cannot be
> opened.  When I attempt to open a database connection to a DB2 data
> source in Zope, I get the following error:
>
> ('08004', 0, '[unixODBC][StarSQL][StarSQL CLI Driver] Data source name
> missing or invalid.', 7952)
>
> I can connect to the same data source using the same credentials with
> ISQL without a problem, and I can run queries from a python program on
> that server using  mx.ODBC.unixODBC.  I was thinking that it was a data
> source problem with unixODBC or the StarSQL driver, but since I can use
> ISQL and mxODBC with python, I'm not quite sure what the problem is.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

It seems that the Zope process is not seeing the same environment
settings that you are using in an interactive shell.

The fact that the error message is prefxed with [unixODBC][StarSQL]
[StarSQL CLI Driver] indicates that the StarSQL driver is having
problems finding its configuration files.

I suggest you run Zope under truss to find out where the driver
is looking and what it is looking for.

HTH,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 21 2004)