[egenix-users] Installing mxODBC on Solaris 8

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 20 16:25:34 CEST 2004

Martin J. Evans wrote:
> I got it working like this:
>
> http://www.easysoft.com/products/2002/mxodbc.phtml
>
> Any feedback on this document welcome.

Editing mxCOMMERCIAL.py is definitely the way to go. I didn't
even know that the stone old Makefile.pre.in approach still
works with more recent Python versions.

BTW, what are the reasons for the "However, for recent versions of
mxODBC (2+) we strongly recommend building mxODBC with unixODBC
support." comment on that page ?

While I agree that using an ODBC manager for better abstraction
and easy of configuration, is there anything preventing the
direct linking from working ?

> but see a comment below.
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin J. Evans
> Easysoft Ltd, UK
> Development
>
> On 20-Oct-2004 Lars Rehe wrote:
>
>>Dear listmembers,
>>
>>I need to install the mxODBC package on a Sparc/Solaris 8 machine.
>>
>>I want to use the EasySoft ODBC-ODBC bridge from a python application and
>>tried to install mxODBC. I followed the 'Manual Installation Procedure':
>>
>>1. unpack
>>2. in mx/ODBC/EasySoft 'make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
>>3. edited 'Setup' and uncommented lines 417-420 (ODBC interface to EasySoft
>>ODBC-ODBC Bridge)
>>4. make returns the following error:
>>
>>>gcc -fPIC -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
>>>-I/usr/local/projects/e-net_apache_webserver/python-2.3.4/include/python2.3
>>>-I/usr/local/projects/e-net_apache_webserver/python-2.3.4/include/python2.3
>>>@DEFS@   -DMAL_DEBUG -DWANT_UNICODE_SUPPORT -DMISSING_SETUP
>

> I think this @DEFS@ is the problem and vaguely remember it.
> You need to get it out of the compile line.
>

>>>-c ././mxSQLCodes.c -o ./mxSQLCodes.o
>>>gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
>>>*** Error code 1
>>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `mxSQLCodes.o'
>>
>>I tried to follow the instructions that were given in reply to
>>http://www.egenix.com/mailman-archives/egenix-users/2004-April/000408.html
>>(Problem building egenix-mx-commercial) but that didn't help. When I tried
>>'python setup.py install in the root-directory of the source-package, there
>>were a lot of gcc errors:
>>
>>>In file included from mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.c:33:
>>>mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.h:239:19: sql.h: No such file or directory
>>>mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.h:240:22: sqlext.h: No such file or directory
>>>In file included from mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.c:33:
>>>mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.h:682: error: parse error before "SQLHDBC"
>>>mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.h:682: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
>>>mx/ODBC/iODBC/mxODBC.h:699: error: parse error before ':' token
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>I admit that this is my first experience with python and its modules and that
>>I am not a C-programmer, so think in 'newbie'-terms.
>>
>>Thanks for your time,
>> Lars

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 20 2004)