[egenix-users] Crash when Database is not running

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Nov 19 09:46:23 CET 2004

Keith Moore wrote:
> I noticed the I get a fatal Python error, when I attempt to access the
> database while it is not running. Is there a way using mxODBC to verify the
> Database server is running before I try to send a query to it?  If I know
> the database is not there, I can generate an error message and close
> gracefully.

This kind of problem crops up every now and then: some ODBC drivers
or their network layers have problems dealing with lost database
connections or they simply don't gracefully cleanup the connection
objects after the connection has gone down. As a result calling
standard ODBC API functions results in fatal errors - something
that we can only work-around from mxODBC, but not entirely
prevent.

Could you describe the error in more detail ? What kind of output
are you seeing ? Can you send us a stack trace ?

Which database and ODBC driver are you using ?

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 19 2004)