[egenix-users] Problem with Python mxODBC, undefined symbol: SQLSetConfigMode

Kent Hoxsey khoxsey at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 08:18:22 CET 2004

>> Maneesh Singh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to connect to a Microsoft SQL Server
>> 2000
>>> database through a Fedora Core 2 machine, using
>> python
>>> 2.3.
>>>
>>> I have tried using the mxODBC package from eGenix.

Maneesh,

I'm using an older version of RedHat Enterprise, but am able to connect
to SQL Server just fine using mxODBC, so you should be able to get
things set up just fine. I have a couple of pointers to offer that may
help:

1. I'm assuming you're using FreeTDS as your driver. Have you tried
connecting to your database using isql to make sure the libraries are
installed properly?

2. I see you're using iODBC. Did you choose this for a reason, or just
by default? If you have no compelling reason to use iODBC over
unixODBC, I would suggest switching to unixODBC. I've used both, and
unixODBC seems to be a bit more mature and robust.

3. Once you've got your driver libs (freetds) working properly, and
your driver manager (unixODBC) working correctly, then try the sample
code for mxODBC.

I've found that it's much easier to debug the setup by making sure each
of the supporting layers works properly before installing the next
layer above.

Kent