[egenix-users] unicode, sql command, mxODBC

zhihua ouyang zxo102 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 04:34:53 CET 2004

Hi everyone,
   I need your help. I have tried for a while to make
unicoded sql command work with mxODBC in window
xp(Chinese Version) but failed since some unicode
chinese characters are in it.

Here is my case:
  1.  A Excel file in c:\\test.xls which contains
chinese characters.
  2. I got the data from test.xls using the following
code

     from win32com.client import DispatchEx
     xApp = DispatchEx("Excel.Application")
     xBook = xApp.Workbooks.Open('c:\\test.xls')
     sheet = xBook.Worksheets('sheet1')
     aaa = []
     for i in range(10):
       aaa.append(sheet.Cell(5,i).Value)

and generate sql command dynamically with those
chinese data. The following is an example:

     sqlCommandStr = u"INSERT INTO instruments VALUES
('0401', 23800.0,
0.0,'\u4e2d\u56fd','156','2000-1-1','\u5f20\u6167\u82ac');"

But mxODBC gives error info: "sql command must be a
string".

   If chinese characters are inserted into the sql
command like
     "INSERT INTO instruments VALUES ('0401', 23800.0,
0.0,'²âÊÔ','156','2000-1-1','²âÊÔ');"
   everything is fine. But I don't know how to
generate it in above condition.

    Does mxODBC accept the unicoded sql command?

Thanks.

Ouyang