[egenix-users] How to connect to a remote oracle/sybase?

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Tue May 25 12:07:29 CEST 2004

Dear Mr. Terlegård,

On 2004-05-25 at 11:01:43 [+0200], Tim Terlegård <tim at se.linux.org> wrote:
> I want to connect to remote servers running oracle and sybase. I
> downloaded mxODBC, but is this the right package for this task?

Maybe.

> First I tried several different connectionstrings with
> ODBC.Windows.DriverConnect(), but I suspect that's just for connecting
> to existing data sources on local computer? I'd like to connect to
> remote databases without having the data sources specified.

mxODBC talks to ODBC sources which are always local but the databases can
be remote. You need to set them up in the "Administration" part of the
Control Panel in Windows or using unixODBC or iODBC in Unix.

> According to DB-API there is a connect() method that takes host and
> database name as arguments, that's promising. But on what module can I
> use this method? I tried ODBC.Windows.connect(), but that doesn't work.
> I then thought I should get a sybase subpackage, but the website says
> it's only for unix and I use Windows.

This is correct but applies to "native" drivers such as DCOracle2 or a
Python Sybase driver.

> So how should I go about this? I thought python was easy... ;)

It is! But that isn't the problem.

Please provide more details about which DB is on which computer and which
computer needs to connect.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark