[egenix-users] Problems with mxODBC on SuSE 9.0

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue May 18 12:47:36 CEST 2004

[adding egenix-users again, since this information may be useful
  for others as well]

Jerome R. Westrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 09:43, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>Jerome R. Westrick wrote:
>>
>>>Hello there...
>>>
>>>I have the follwoing problem:
>>>
>>>When mxODBC tries to access a postgresql database
>>>Zope hangs.
>>
>>Are you referring to the mxODBC Zope DA or the mxODBC
>>Python Extension product ?
>

> The mxODBC Zope DA product
>

>>>In order to get into the "manage" page
>>>I need to start Zope while postgress is down.
>>>Then start postgress, then open connection, then
>>>use test to execute simple select.
>>>
>>>The select works with isql, and in Datamanager (unixODBC).
>>>
>>>An error is shown in the postgress log:
>>>
>>>ERROR:  'ksqo' is not a valid option name
>>>
>>>Additionally, SuSE 9.0 forces me to have both iodbc and unix odbc
>>>loaded, so I had to select unixODBC driver from the corresponding
>>>Properties dropdown box.
>>>
>>>Any Ideas on how to proceed with this problem?
>>
>>Sounds like a problem with the postgresql ODBC driver to
>>me... mxODBC doesn't use any option "ksqo".
>

> Hmmm, It happens when I issue the test select from the mxODBC Zope Da
> product.  And it don't happen when I issue the same select from
> Datmanager (the UnixODBC test program)...
>
> Any Idea where to look?
> Any confirmed usages on SuSE 9.0?

Not from eGenix. We have to stick to older versions in order
to avoid library dependency issues, e.g. the Zope DA is
built on SuSE 8.0.

> I'd hate to have to fall back to SuSE 8.2,
> just for of the mxODBC!

I don't think that's necessary. Your problem sounds unrelated to
the mxODBC or the ODBC manager you are using. Instead you should
look at the ODBC driver that comes with SuSE 9.0.

Google'ing on the error message brings up a few messages
suggesting that an old ODBC driver or ODBC DSN is being used. The
KSQO option was removed from the PostgreSQL which is causing
the error message.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 18 2004)