[egenix-users] SELECTing with placeholders and NULL values

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Wed Jun 23 19:03:13 CEST 2004

On 2004-06-23 at 17:10:26 [+0200], Charles Bearden
<Charles.F.Bearden at uth.tmc.edu> wrote:
> That's what I'll do.  Some WHERE clauses may have 4 or 5 tests, of which
> three may have NULL or non-NULL values.  I just thought that if I didn't
> have to generate the statements dynamically, the code would be neater.

This is probably superfluous but avoid NULLs altogether if you can: they
break most relational models and always cause trouble sooner or later. It's
probably a moot point but TRUE / FALSE would probably make more sense to
most people.

Checkout http://www.dbdebunk.com for some good points on RDBMS practice.

Charlie
--