[egenix-users] mx-base 2.0.5 segfaults against Python 2.3.3 --without-pymalloc --with-pydebug

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Feb 27 10:14:04 CET 2004

Jacob Smullyan wrote:
> This may be already known, but 2.0.5 segfaults *immediately* with
> Python 2.3.3 configured --without-pymalloc --with-pydebug on 2 linux
> platforms I've tested (gcc 2.95 and 3.3.2).  2.1.0 does not.

While 2.1.0 is more suited for Python versions compiled with
--with-debug, I have to say that we don't support that option.

There are simply too many different configure options available
in Python that it's not possible to accomodate for each and every
combination.

Standard Python compiles should and do work, though. If you find that
there is a problem with the free lists in e.g. mxDateTime causing
a seg fault, then it's the compiler's optimizer not doing a proper
job. Apperently the compilers have a problem with optimizing this
piece of code:

	datetime = mxDateTime_FreeList;
	mxDateTime_FreeList = *(mxDateTimeObject **)mxDateTime_FreeList;
	datetime->ob_type = &mxDateTime_Type;

In such a case, please edit the C files and comment out the
free list #defines, e.g. for mxDateTime:

/* Define these to have the module use free lists (saves malloc calls) */
#define MXDATETIME_FREELIST
#define MXDATETIMEDELTA_FREELIST

Patches are welcome, of course. It's hard for us to fix bugs that
we cannot reproduce using our standard tools, so if you want these
things fixed, please make suggestions on how to work around the
problem.

Thanks,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 27 2004)