[egenix-users] MS SQL ODBC connect problem ("Option not supported")

Robby Dermody robbyd at veratest.com
Fri Aug 13 15:20:47 CEST 2004

Hi guys,

This problem has been causing me to pull my hair out for the last day or
two. I'm trying to use mxODBC under Debian Linux 'unstable' to connect
to a MS SQL database via either unixODBC or iODBC.

Relevant versions:
mxODBC: 2.0.6
mx-base: 2.0.5
unixodbc: 2.2.4-9
iodbc: 3.51.2
freetds: 0.61

With both unixODBC and iODBC, I have installed them, configured
odbc.ini, and can use their test programs to connect to this database
and query it fine. No problems there. However, when I mix mxODBC into
the picture and try to connect via that, I get something like the
following:

>>> db =
mx.ODBC.unixODBC.DriverConnect("DSN=testdsn;UID=testuser;PWD=pass;")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
mxODBC.NotSupportedError: ('S1C00', 1, '[unixODBC]Option not supported',
5921)

Here's the mxodbc.log output (when compiled in 'debug' mode):

mxODBC_New_UseDriverConnect: dsn='DSN=testdsn;UID=testuser;PWD=pass;',
clearAC=1
mxODBC_ReportError: sqlstate='S1C00' code=1 text='[unixODBC]Option not
supported' lineno=5921 rc=-1 mxODBC_New_UseDriverConnect: failed.
mxODBC_New_UseDriverConnect: dsn='DSN=testdsn;UID=testuser;PWD=pass;',
clearAC=0
mxODBC_ReportError: sqlstate='S1C00' code=1 text='[unixODBC]Option not
supported' lineno=5921 rc=-1
mxODBC_New_UseDriverConnect: failed.

I get the same output from iodbc, "Option not supported". Any idea how
to find out WHAT option they're talking about? Note I get the same error
when using Connect(), and as you can see, I've tried it with
both clear_auto_commit=1 and clear_auto_commit=0 ...same thing each
time.

I'm thinking this is a problem between mxODBC and unixodbc/iodbc....and
that it has nothing to do with freeTDS or the MS SQL server itself.

Any help would be welcome!!

Thanks,

Robby